A website's IP address is linked to each domain name, like TechPP.com. In order for a web browser to load one of these websites, it needs to know its IP address, which is found through a DNS.
DNS basically aids in the translation of domain names into IP addresses. Therefore, DNS assists in translating the domain name, which is simpler to remember, into the corresponding IP address rather than requiring you to type the website's IP address each time you want to open it.
On the other hand, in order to communicate with the game server in online games, the game client connects to the game server by locating the IP address associated with the server.
Although the DNS server mostly affects your game's responsiveness depending on where you are, you might want to test out a few different DNS servers to see which one works best for you. Consequently, we have discussed the seven best DNS gaming servers in this article.
What factors should you consider when choosing a DNS for gaming?
Understanding how to select the appropriate DNS for your gaming requirements is essential before we move on to the best DNS for gaming.
- Speed: Speed is an important factor when choosing a DNS server for gaming. It determines how quickly data is transferred between two points on a network and can make the difference between a smooth gaming experience and one fraught with delays. Speed is affected by the physical distance between the DNS server and the user, as well as other factors such as network congestion and the quality of the Wi-Fi connection. A fast DNS server can help reduce latency, which is the time it takes for data to travel from the user to the server and back. If the latency is too high, you may experience delays that can lead to a frustrating gaming experience.
- Security: Security is an important factor when choosing a DNS for gaming, as it ensures that malicious websites cannot access users’ devices, protecting them from cyber threats such as viruses, phishing attacks, and malware. By using a secure DNS, users can enjoy a safe online gaming experience, free from interruptions and with improved performance. Moreover, using encryption, secure DNS not only protects the user’s system but also provides protection for devices outside the network, web filtering, and cloud-based management.
- Location: Location is an important factor to consider when selecting a DNS for gaming, as ping time and connection reliability can vary greatly depending on the location of the game server and the user. A DNS server that is closer to the game server will generally have a lower ping time and provide more reliable connections. This is especially important for players who want to achieve the best possible connection stability and performance.
- Price: When it comes to choosing a DNS for gaming, price is an important factor. On the one hand, there are high-quality DNS services that are free, such as Google Public DNS, which offers lightning-fast performance and high security at no additional cost. On the other hand, some companies may charge for their DNS services, which can be a deciding factor when choosing the right DNS for gaming. Even though these paid services may offer better performance and security than the free ones, it’s important to weigh the costs against the benefits to determine which option is best for you.
- Reliability: Reliability is one of the most important aspects when choosing a DNS server for gaming. A reliable DNS server will ensure that your gaming experience is not interrupted by delays or downtime. A DNS server with high uptime and reliability provide gamers with a secure, fast, and stable Internet connection that is free from glitches and interruptions. It can also protect against DNS spoofing attempts through an extensive network of servers.
Are you looking for the best DNS for gaming? Here are the options you should use:
Cloudflare, a free DNS service that makes Internet browsing quick and dependable, is at the top of our list of the best DNS for gaming. Cloudflare's DNS resolver is widely considered to be the fastest DNS for online gaming and web browsing. This is because of a number of things, such as its increased server capacity and global coverage of more than 250 locations.
Cloudflare is a DNS of the enterprise class that not only makes browsing faster but also gives users the option to browse privately. In other words, DNSSEC security built into Cloudflare safeguards against on-path attacks and DNS record hijacking and prohibits IP address logging.
In contrast to other DNS providers, this one boasts that it does not sell its users' data to advertisers, so you can use it safely for gaming. In addition, it is simple to set up, whether you want to use it on a single device or all of your connected devices on your network.
You can always use Google DNS, a popular and excellent public DNS service, to translate domain names into IP addresses that your gaming device can understand.
This DNS is definitely one of the best because it is supported by Google. However, this can be a double-edged sword because we are aware that Google is not the best option if you are concerned about your privacy.
It is possible for it to be vulnerable to DoS attacks and other Internet-related attacks because it is a public DNS resolver. However, Google has taken the necessary precautions to safeguard its users from these threats by promptly monitoring its servers and offering DNSSEC support.
Google Public DNS is one of the best available because it has a lot of features that make DNS searches on the Internet fast and secure.
Another free DNS resolver that you can use to get the best gaming experience is Quad9, whose primary benefit is system security.
In terms of speed and security, this may be the best alternative to your default DNS for gaming, performing better than DNS services like Google DNS in some locations.
Quad9 brags of having 150 DNS goal groups in 90 nations, which, as referenced prior, makes for better gaming execution.
It for the most part hinders your framework from different dangers, including malware and phishing. Because it does not store or process the IP addresses of its users, Quad9 complies with the GDPR.
DNS.Watch is a public DNS server known for its no-logging policy and primary focus on user privacy. When you use this DNS resolver, you don't have to worry about your data being stored or processed in any way.
It supports DNSSEC and provides public DNS servers for IPV4 and IPV6. It is a great gaming DNS, but because it is hosted in Germany, it may only work well for users in Europe; users on other continents may not have the best experience with it.
DNS.WATCH guarantees that your DNS queries will be processed quickly and secretly thanks to its uncensored DNS service. This DNS server is fast and provides lag-free gaming without interfering with your online connection or causing delays.
OpenDNS is another option if you're looking for a fast and secure DNS for DNS lookup while gaming. A free DNS administration upholds IPv4 and IPv6 addresses and has been known for its high uptime since its initiation.
Due to the DNS server's global network of servers and well-designed routing technology, which enables your DNS requests to be automatically routed to the OpenDNS data center that is closest to you, OpenDNS ensures that your Internet requests load faster.
You will find this DNS service's improved stability and security to be helpful. This DNS service's ability to filter content based on your preferences is one of its most appealing features.
Level 3 is a free alternative DNS resolver that works best for gaming. Level 3 is a public DNS service that offers secure and dependable Internet access, despite not having the extensive infrastructure of Google or Cloudflare.
Level 3 DNS is designed to run smoothly on Xbox One and PlayStation 4 consoles and has excellent speed. It is a Tier-1 provider with its own network infrastructure and no reliance on customer services provided by third parties.
Because it does not store the data of its users, it is not only quick to use but also safe to use. The DNS service offered by Level 3 automatically sends DNS queries made by its customers to the closest DNS server, resulting in a lightning-fast Internet connection that is ideal for gaming.
Comodo Secure DNS
Comodo Secure DNS is one of the best and most secure DNS resolvers with a lot of features if you want to try another fast and dependable DNS for gaming.
Generally, it offers similar highlights as the other DNS resolvers canvassed in this article. Because it has servers in most locations, Comodo Secure DNS ensures that its users from all over the world have the best possible browsing experience. As a result, you will have a faster and smoother Internet connection.
Players are shielded from malicious attacks by this DNS's advanced security features, which include built-in protection against viruses, malware, and phishing scams as well as 256-bit encryption. Advertising on mobile apps and websites is also disabled by this.
As a result, if you're a gamer looking for the best DNS for gaming, you can use Comodo by setting your DNS settings to the following values.
What to consider while choosing the best DNS for gaming?
Although most of the DNS servers listed above are suitable for gaming, some are superior due to their location. Therefore, you should check the server that is close to where you are before choosing a DNS server to use for gaming.